Thursday, August 17, 2017

Garden Blooms, August, 2017

A few days late.  It's been busy.  And hectic and who really wants to her about it.  Anyway, here is what is blooming here in August in Southeastern Michigan.  Despite the heat and humidity, lack of decent rain, and the thrips and aphids, I still have flowers, but it has not been a great year.

 Joe-Pye weed.  I can't resist posting photos of this plant.  Lots of bees this year but almost no butterflies around.  Making they are flying back to Mexico before the wall is erected.
I thought this heliopsis cultivar was lost, but there was one lonely stem.   It's possible that the rabbits kept nipping off the new shoots.  They totally destroyed rudbeckia in the front garden.
Rudbeckia in the garden next to the above heliopsis.  No idea why they did not eat this.  Maybe they were too busy eating the daisies.
Plum Fantasy hibiscus.  If you look closely you can see the aphids on Summer Sun heliopsis, which have now all been cut back.  I sprayed with organic soap spray for two weeks and they only seemed to get worse.  Ugh.  Worse year ever.  The hibiscus in the front yard had all the blossoms destroyed by thrips, so no flowers.
Limelight hydrangeas.  

 Hosta 'First Frost'
 Hosta 'Guacamole' - it has the sweetest fragrance, better than a rose IMO.
 Hosta 'June' - I'd love an entire border of this plant
A border of Fortunei Aureomarginata hostas with Hosta 'Stained Glass' on the right.
Snow on the Mountain growing three feet tall this year.  Wow.
The new front garden plantings
Thanks for stopping by and touring the garden with me.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! Most of my plants have either drowned from all the rain we've had or been killed off by the heat. The weeds are thriving though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get rain but the ground is so dry it hardly matters. Maybe we should just grow weeds, lol.

      Delete
  2. Love the Joe Pye Weed. That looks like a very robust one. Nice Hostas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too really like te Joe Pye weed. Like you I've noticed a distinct lack of buttereflies this year especially on buddleias which normally attact loads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear there aren't many butterflies this year. I have heard various reports of them dying out. I particularly love those limelight hydrangeas. Been seeing some hydrangeas here which look green, not so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My limelights will eventually turn green too, hence the name.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the garden tour - so lovely. I have like/hate relationship with the bunnies. Pop over to my garden when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is so glorious Denise - thanks for sharing all that beauty. I especially love the hydrangeas, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is thrips?? Your garden looks so beautiful and I love the Black Eyed Susan! Just great looking despoute the issues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are little green bugs that suck the juices from the plants and leave little round holes on leaves. They also make nasty bites. I know from experience.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.